Re: trying to ban IPs using htaccess - not working

At 05:08 PM 7/25/2010, Eric Covener wrote:
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Bennett Haselton <bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > By the way, I posted this question on vworker.com (where you can post "work
> items" for contractors to bid on, although I more often use it to post
> questions and then people submit bids for telling me the answer), and
> someone told me the answer for $20.
>
> The answer, it turns out, is the /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf file has its > own ErrorDocument 403 directive which matches the "/" page when the "/" page
> gives a 403 error, so that's why I was getting the Apache test page.
> Comment out the lines in welcome.conf or replace it with a zero-byte file > and you're good. (It looks like on this machine we must have previously > figured this out at some point, because welcome.conf had been renamed to
> welcome.conf.bak -- but then something mysteriously restored the
> welcome.conf file, which broke it again. I assume it might have been a "yum > update" which put back the welcome.conf file. Hopefully having a zero-byte
> file there will prevent yum updates from clobbering it.)
>
> This still does not solve the problem of why I'm not getting the right
> custom 403 error when I go to https://209.160.28.154/ though... I still > don't know how to make the ErrorDocument directive apply to the https site.

There's nothing too special about ErrorDocument, see the basic rules
of configuration sections here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html

And recusrively grep your configuration if you don't know what's there.

I've already read that page and followed the directions, and it's not working the way the page describes it, or at least, there's something missing. The page says:
"What Directives are Allowed? --
To find out what directives are allowed in what types of configuration sections, check the Context of the directive."

That's what I'm doing, and it does not work. The "context" for ErrorDocument says "server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess". I have put the line
ErrorDocument 403 /banned_ip.php
in the httpd.conf file, in the ssl.conf file both inside and outside the <VirtualHost> section, and in the .htaccess file, and none of those combinations are working -- 403 errors in https urls are still giving the default 403 error instead of the custom one. There's some extra step required that's not in the documentation, at least not in that portion of it. Do you know what it is?

-Bennett