Re: trying to ban IPs using htaccess - not working

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Bennett Haselton <bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By the way, I posted this question on vworker.com (where you can post "work
> items" for contractors to bid on, although I more often use it to post
> questions and then people submit bids for telling me the answer), and
> someone told me the answer for $20.
>
> The answer, it turns out, is the /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf file has its
> own ErrorDocument 403 directive which matches the "/" page when the "/" page
> gives a 403 error, so that's why I was getting the Apache test page.
>  Comment out the lines in welcome.conf or replace it with a zero-byte file
> and you're good.  (It looks like on this machine we must have previously
> figured this out at some point, because welcome.conf had been renamed to
> welcome.conf.bak -- but then something mysteriously restored the
> welcome.conf file, which broke it again.  I assume it might have been a "yum
> update" which put back the welcome.conf file.  Hopefully having a zero-byte
> file there will prevent yum updates from clobbering it.)
>
> This still does not solve the problem of why I'm not getting the right
> custom 403 error when I go to https://209.160.28.154/ though...  I still
> don't know how to make the ErrorDocument directive apply to the https site.

There's nothing too special about ErrorDocument, see the basic rules
of configuration sections here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html

And recusrively grep your configuration if you don't know what's there.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx