Re: mod_proxy: ProxyPass max parameter has no effect

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Alessandro Vernet <avernet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Does this sound about right?
>>
>> worker or event
>> ThreadsPerChild == MaxClients (and may as well set ServerLimit to 1)
>>
>> One child process is the simplest/most obvious case.  I think it will
>> still work close enough to the desired goal if you have 2-3 child
>> processes which share the workload and connection quota.
>
> Thank you for the precisions, this is very useful information. For
> folks on UNIX who have a prefork MPM and can't easily change to an
> worker or event MPM, do you know of an alternative way to achieve the
> same result? Or should they just bite the bullet, and switch to a
> worker or event MPM?

AFAIK the only thing you can do with prefork to avoid overrunning the
backend is to set MaxClients no higher than the maximum number of
backend connections.  But that's useless when you expect httpd to
forward only a subset of requests to the backend.

Upcoming httpd 2.4 has loadable MPMs that can be switched out just
like regular modules.  I hope that vendors provide 2-3 MPMs on Unix,
with a switch as easy as changing the LoadModule directive and
checking the default config for the new MPM.

But yes, until then this may be a pain to change.