building Apache from source, on box where it was installed with yum

I have a CentOS 5.5 machine where I originally installed Apache with yum, so it's located at /usr/sbin/httpd with configuration files at /etc/httpd/conf and there is no Apache source code on the machine. I've been advised that to do some of the things I'd want to do (e.g. view more than 63 characters of a request in mod_status), I should build Apache from source.

Which of these two options is considered a better practice, or is
there some reason why one will not even work at all and I'll have to
use the other one:

1) building a new copy of Apache from source under my home directory,
and changing /etc/init.d and anything that else that points to the old
Apache at /usr/sbin/httpd , to point to my new Apache location as well

or

2) backing up the /usr/sbin/httpd binary (and any other binaries that
get built by the build process) and building Apache from source to
overwrite the /usr/sbin/httpd binary.

I am hoping there's a way to do #2, because I have a lot of custom
scripts that all expect Apache to be at /usr/sbin/httpd and all expect
it's configuration file to be /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, and it would
be a pain to change all of those.