Re: How to block IP addresses to the whole server?

From: "Reese" <howell.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 16 March, 2010 16:48
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  How to block IP addresses to the whole server?

On 16-Mar-10 10:31, Je suis la poubelle wrote:
     Thanks to all for your replies.  For the record, <location> is
the best option for me.  This is the solution I use:

edit /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to add the following section:
<Location />
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from xx.xx.xx.xx
  Deny from xx.xx.xx.xx
  Allow from all
</Location>

That works, but if you add only the necessary parts of that to your
.htaccess file, it is more dynamic. That is, you don't have to restart
your HTTP server after each change.
ex. add:

  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from xx.xx.xx.xx
  Deny from xxx.xx.xxx.xx
  Deny from xx.xxx.
  Allow from all

to the .htaccess file in the root of your publicly-accessible pages
and the changes go into effect on save, not when you restart Apache.

Note that you can also block whole subnets, not just individual
IP addresses.

Reese

     There is nevertheless one thing I would like to do, but I'm
afraid I'm too demanding :p

     Reply to forbidden IP addresses is a page full of informations:
Linux distro and version, Apache version, PHP version and all the
module versions.  Possible to prevent them from being shown?

Reese,

I have already suggested this numerous times, yet they fail to respond back with a no thank you that isn't what I want to do, or any other questions. I have ignored trying to help this individual.