Re: apache on windows

On 3/12/2010 3:59 PM, Brent Davidson wrote:
> Can anyone out there tell me if is workable or not to install
> Apache(most current version) on a Windows Web server?

It seems folks have missed the crux of your question.

You can run httpd.exe on any flavor of Windows, client or server.

The client operating systems have several deliberate flaws, such as only
allowing two simultaneous TransmitFile() calls (al la EnableSendfile On
in httpd language), and other crippling 'optimizations'.  Several settings
must be tweaked in order to get passable low volume performance.

The server operating systems, and I presume Windows Web Server is among
these, do not cripple the network stack in favor of 'interactive' use.

The major difference between these all is the EULA terms about simultaneous
connections and simultaneous logins.  Depending on your licensing you may
typically have only 10 logins allowed on entry level server products.  That
will *include* every connection you authenticate using mod_auth_sspi and
similar NTLM based auth solutions.

Review your Windows Web Server EULA, and I expect you will find it to be
acceptable for most basic applications of Apache httpd.