Re: <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> issue in debian lenny.

On 05.03.10 10:45, J. Bakshi wrote:
> But I have faced problem in debian where it does not sense the
> configuration if it is not under <IfModule>. Otherwise I would be happy
> to configure without <IfModule>.

What?

If the directive is not in <IfModule>, it's always used. The <IfModule>
causes it be used only if the specified module is loaded.

It means, that if you use a directive without <IfModule> and the module is
not loaded, apache reports an error in config file.

The fscking complicated <IfModule> syntax used in some SW distributions are
Pain-In-The-Ass. Unless you want only some small changes, it's always better
to create own apache's config. Yes, it's not that easy to maintain from the
distributions' point of view (automatically), but it's MUCH easier to
understand and maintain manually.

playing with <IfModule> is especially hard with things like DirectoryIndex.
iirc RedHat tried to add directives like AddDirectoryIndex and
ClearDirectoryIndex but without big success here.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.