<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> issue in debian lenny.

Hello list,

Here in debian lenny the rewrite rules are working well. I have checked
by this .htaccess and successful

````````````````````
DirectoryIndex index.php
RewriteEngine On

#RewriteRule ^typo3$ - [L]
#RewriteRule ^typo3/.*$ - [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l
RewriteRule .* index.php
```````````````

Now I like to place the rewrite stuff in apache configuration so that I
don't need to place .htaccess for all the sites. and here is the config
I have placed in apache

```````````````````````
<Directory /var/www/>
# .htaccess slows down apache; only use it when required #
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all

### Begin: Rewrite stuff for typo3 ###
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

# Enable URL rewriting
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule .* index.php [L]
</IfModule>
</Directory>

restart apache and remove the .htaccess from webroot directory of the
site. the rewite stuff is not working now !!! Is it a problem with
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> which is not recognized here in lenny ? Does
anyone have any idea or faced the same problem.

BTW: The above config running fine with opensuse 11.2

Thanks

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী