How does ProxyPassReverse work?

Hi,

I don't really understand the ProxyPassReverse directive, esp. the url parameter.
What exactly is the url matched against, in order for the rewrite to work?

The doc says:
| path is the name of a local virtual path. url is a partial URL for the remote
| server - the same way they are used for the ProxyPass directive.

I originally thought that the "partial URL for the remote server" means that I
should use the same URL as for the proxy worker. But some cases I encountered
seem to suggest that I need to use exactly the URL that is in the Location header.

The example is:
Env (from a rewrite map lookup): BACKEND=target.example.com:80/application
ProxyPass /somename/ http://${BACKEND}/ interpolate
ProxyPassReverse /somename/ http://${BACKEND}/ interpolate

The Backend server sends a redirect to
http://target.example.com/application/some-resource (without ':80'), and Apache
returns this redirect to the client. If I remove the port from the ProxyPassReverse
url the redirect is correctly rewritten.

So am I right that I need to exactly match the Location header from the backend?
And is there any configuration that influences whether two equivalent urls in
different form(such as :80 vs. no port) match?

Thanks
Rainer