Re: Re: mod_log_config issue

Joe Hammerman wrote:
Hi Dan,

When the sed command is replaced with /bin/cat, logs are generated. Using a sed command that does nothing results in no log output; e.g.

CustomLog "| /bin/sed s/// |/usr/bin/cronolog..."
CustomLog "| /bin/sed 's///' | /usr/bin/cronolog..."
CustomLog "| /bin/sed -e 's///' | /usr/bin/cronolog..."

I haven't really been following this thread in detail, but here are some thing I noticed.

All three of the sed commands above are invalid, so it doesn't surprise me there is no output.

$ echo "test" | sed s///
sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression
$ echo "test" | sed 's///'
sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression
$ echo "test" | sed -e 's///'
sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Since replacing it with cat works, it means the sed command in your original code is not working as expected. Try logging directly to a file, then run your sed commands or wrapper script on that file (e.g. cat this.log > sed -e 's/blah/blah/'). Once you have verified that is working properly, then come back to putting it into the apache config.

There is also a chance that the escape sequences for a shell are different than those for the apache directive. You can verify that by starting out with a much simpler sed script, then expanding from there.

--
Justin Pasher