Configuring mod_authnz_ldap to search & compare using server's credentials, not users'

I have a situation where presentation of an X.509 certificate by a user
in two-way SSL is considered authoritative for identification purposes,
however I need to use the directory for attribute and authorization
information.

The LDAP server expects me to bind via my server certificate with
two-way SSL.  This is preferred in this environment over using a BindDN
and password.

By using +FakeBasicAuth*1, I was able to get the 1st step [search]
working; however, mod_authnz_ldap automatically switches over to
attempting a bind as the user in the compare step.  In this case, it
does so with the "pseudo-password" provided by FakeBasicAuth.
[Obviously this fails.]

The rest of the implementation is exactly what I neeed--it's only switch
from anonymous/server bind to user bind that I need to change*2.  I'd
like to see a directive to mod_authnz_ldap that instructed it to use the
same binding for the compare phase as it did for search.  [I've also
been looking at using ldaprc to see if TLS_ directives there can
override application settings].

Has anyone else cracked this nut already, either with a "fork" of
mod_authnz_ldap or their own module written on top of mod_ldap?

--Pete
----
Configuration details:

- Solaris (both x86 & sparc servers)
- Apache 2.2.9
- OpenLDAP 2.3.41

----
*1In this case we would need to make sure that an actual Basic Auth
dialog was never presented; otherwise we could have users entering
another user's DN by hand to masquerade as them.

*2"Collapsing" the LDAP caches is another possible related optimization
in this situation.  If we are binding with the same credentials, we
don't have to worry about polluting a cache with unauthorized data from
another user's context.