Re: Apache vs LiteSpeed

Jarrod Slick wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2010, at 10:25 AM, Tommy M. McGuire wrote:
>
>> Jarrod Slick wrote:
>>>
>>> All tests will be performed on localhost.
>>
>> I did not want to comment since I am not an Apache nor LiteSpeed
>> performance expert,
>> but I rather suspect that will invalidate any results you get. At
>> least it will make it
>> much harder to get any kind of consistent results.
>
> I'm curious -- why do you think that the results will be inconsistent?
> If anything I would be inclined to think that using localhost would
> improve consistency as extraneous variables like network congestion at
> the time of testing would not be present.

Check Tom Evans' reply, but the basic problem would be that the test tool
would be consuming the same resources that the web server needs to use.
Ideally, you would want the server on a quiescent machine, connected to a
dedicated, otherwise quiescent network, in turn connected to the testing host
or hosts.

I wouldn't worry too much about "modeling the traffic real clients would
generate", and as long as the network has enough free bandwidth to saturate
the servers, it should be fine. But what you want to avoid is directly
perturbing the webserver processes.

--
Tommy M. McGuire
mcguire@xxxxxxxx