RE: Passing remote client IP address to backend server and session stickness

On Today at 10:09am, RJ=>Ruiyuan Jiang <Ruiyuan_Jiang@xxxxxxx> wrote:

RJ> Hi, Haroon
RJ>
RJ> I see that also but I don't know how to use them. I put the statement
RJ> into my vhost of Apache reverse proxy and the apache complaining they
RJ> are wrong statement, etc.

Hi Ryan,

X-Forwarded-For is not a statement that goes inside the httpd.conf. The
documentation page is just telling you that these headers are already
available to you, if you are using reverse-proxy.

RJ> <virtualhost>

RJ> Proxyrequst off
RJ> X-Forwarded-For
RJ> </virtualhost>

So, don't put the X-Forwarded-For statement there.

RJ> Is above the correct way to use it? I am not much care about the
RJ> remote IP being logged in the Apache log but I am care about the
RJ> remote client IP being forwarded to the backend server since our
RJ> backend server will decide what to do based on the remote client IP.
RJ> Thanks.

For the backend server to be able to "see" the remote client IP, as if it
was the real client IP, your application will have to be aware of the
X-Forwarded-For. Depending on what technology you are using on the
backend, the answer may be different about how to make your backend be
aware of X-Forwarded-For header. Regardless of the technology, you
probably should read up on the XFF entry at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Forwarded-For
And again, regardless of the tech, the HTTP request will contain the
X-Forwarded-For header. On my java projects, I use xebia-france
XForwardedFilter at:
http://code.google.com/p/xebia-france/wiki/XForwardedFilter

YMMV,

RJ> Ryan