Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Unless you are Amazon or Google, any reason you might find for
choosing one vs. the other will probably have little to do with
performance.  Recent Tomcat versions are not notably slow at serving
static content.  And remember, with HTTPD/Tomcat, every request
and response has to make an extra trip through the local network stack
to cross the process boundary -- small wins may be overwhelmed by the
additional cost of frontending.

Some reasons I have for continuing to run HTTPD in front of Tomcat anyway:

o  I learned HTTPD first and am still more comfortable with it
o  I like HTTPD's configuration language better
o  Lots and lots and LOTS of modules to make HTTPD do all sorts of
   fancy things, if you want them.
o  I absolutely *hate* the JKS certificate store.  I very much prefer
   setting up SSL for HTTPD than for Tomcat.
o  That's the way I set it up originally and I don't want to mess with
   it.

Others will have similar reasons for *not* running an HTTPD frontend.

One other reason I can think of:  if you need HTTPD anyway for other
uses, you might want to keep all the network-related configuration
together.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.