Re: ProxyPass gets "stuck" in a VirtualHost

Nick Kew wrote:

I have a collection of machines with identical installations of Apache, each with a couple of dozen VirtualHosts. The specific problem I'm facing is that there is one VirtualHost (vhosta) that needs to ProxyPass to another VirtualHost, which I'm doing like this:

    ProxyPass /catalog https://vhostb.activestate.com/json/catalog
    ProxyPassReverse /catalog https://vhostb.activestate.com/json/catalog

That's a very strange thing to be doing on a single host.
Why not just alias it?

I hadn't tried it -- vhostb is running a PHP application framework, while vhosta is completely static and uses no PHP. I'll likely wind up giving aliasing a shot.

This is in an SSL-enabled vhost, needless to say.

The effect it's having is that I get a 404 and an entry in vhosta's error_log that it can't find /path/to/vhosta/htdocs/json/catalog.

At a guess, something in your toolchain doesn't support SNI.

Yup -- using CentOS 5.3's Apache 2.2.3, which Wikipedia's SNI article says is about nine points behind SNI support. That's almost certainly the culprit.

Thank you for your help, Nick -- greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

kjw