vhost based syslog logging

Title: vhost based syslog logging

Hello list.
I'm configuring syslog for our servers. One of them is a apache webserver. We've decided to log as much as possible via syslog. For apache the ErrorLog can go directly to syslog and for CustumLogs I use a small perl script, logger.pl,  that listens for input and logs it to syslog. This works how it's supposed to but the problem is that for every vhost we have two CustomLog directives, one for port 80 and one for port 443. This means we will get allot of scripts running, doing exacly the same… I thought I could just specify one CustomLog "|logger.pl" in httpd.conf and filter them again per vhost acording to the servername using syslog-ng. The problem with this is %v and %V as is the headerline Host(%{Host}i)are set to the hostname of the machine serving apache, not the vhost name…

Does anyone know a solution for this problem.

Geert  Geurts
Universiteit Leiden
Afdeling Middleware
Tel:071-5276873