How to manipulate the query string and headers in apache1

Hello,

What is the best way to set a cookie based on a value from a var extracted from the query string? All of this done on Apache1 and on a webserver level?

The following is my suggestions and questions:

a.) mod_rerite cannot set cookies in apache1, so one would think that using that module to extract the variable form the query string and then applying it to mod_headers would solve this issue, but after brainstorming this idea I find that passing the var from mod_rewrite to mod_headers is not possible. Is this correct?

b.) Apache is not a programming language so one could use mod_perl, or mod_python to do the regex (similar to mod_rewrite) for capturing the needed var, and then set the cookie. This via the "hook" ups like  PerlResponseHandler or a PerlRequestHandler or some other Perl*Handler  to execute the script on every request cycle within the daemon.

Would this be the best practice to do what I want to do?

Thanks all.

-Matt