Re: Need some SSL help please.

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:46:35 -0400, Josh Gooding wrote:

> Mike,
>
> If it was up to me, I wouldn't use a Windows based server either,
> however, what the client bought is what I had to use.  KWIM? I can't
> block DNS on this server due to it having a .com tied to it. I looked
> this afternoon and no dice.  I can look into it more in depth on the
> httpd site.  What a perplexing thing I'm trying to do.
>
> - Josh

[...]

I think the Rewrite example I gave is like:
    Require valid-user

I still do not see the way but note:
   1 . I think t is possible to construct a directory tree where
       the root uses SSL but the others do not.
   2.  Maybe non-SSL directories can be made to reject in there
       is no valid user, but not with a login request.
   3.  The root directory would respond with the normal login.
This is how I would start. It places a restriction on the user to
first access the root directory.

FWIW, this is all I can think of now.  It might require the use of
environment variables. (See Apache "Access Control").

This is an interesting problem but after this post, I go on
travel and will have little or no Internet access for a week.
I will look back when I return, hoping to see what was finally
done.

Mike.