Need some SSL help please.

Greetings folks, I've ran into a little SSL snag here.  Currently I have Apache 2.2 and Tomcat 6.0 configured to run and talk to each other.  It seems to work even though I have ONE static page in the entire project for right now.

What I want to do:

Run the Login.jsp through SSL, after successful login, drop the SSL.  The entire session doesn't need encrypted, only the login and password.  I was directed over here from the Tomcat Mailing list.  I figured that I'd ask.  I am using the Tomcat's built in j_security_check to authenticate users login's.  I'm very new to SSL so please forgive me if I am asking some very basic questions.

My question:  Is it possible to do the above scenario?  Is it practical?  Am I wasting my time on this if there is a better way of doing this?

Thank you.

- Josh