Re: Directory Permssions

On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:45 PM, ML wrote:

Hi Doug,

So does that prevent crawling and browsing, but does allow if I click a link or include a file it will work?

No, it prevents the directory and all files within from being served by the webserver at all. Anything else is either half-secure or half-broken

I don't understand what you mean by "crawling", "browsing", and "include a file". They're really all the same thing: A client (be it Firefox or GoogleBot) is asking the webserver for something.

If you want to prevent the nice robots from asking for something, you can use a robots.txt file. This will not prevent naughty robots from asking for something.

Lets think about this a different way.

Say I have a directory of files that contain my MySQL connection information, queries, etc, etc.

How do I prevent people from browsing the directory but allow the files to still be used when I include them in a page. Say to connect to MySQL.

So in this case, you mean "include" a la PHP's include()?

Just because Apache can't serve the file does not mean that Perl, PHP, Python, or other things cannot USE the file. Apache's access controls only determine what Apache will do with the file when the file is requested by a user.

For example, you could use Apache SSI to include a file that the user would not be able to see by directly trying to access the file.

Doug Bell -- Senior Developer, Plain Black Corp.
[ http://plainblack.com ]
all that groks is