Re: Directory Permssions

Hi Doug,

So does that prevent crawling and browsing, but does allow if I click a link or include a file it will work?

-Jason

On Jul 13, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Doug Bell wrote:

On Jul 13, 2009, at 1:37 PM, ML wrote:

Hello All,

I am confused about directory permissions inside of my wwwroot/

I am using name-based virtual hosting and I have y web root as /var/ www/html

All of my websites are inside /var/www/html in their own directories.

How can I i have a directory protected from crawlers indexing it? What is the right permission set?

How can I have a directory that apache can use, but nobody can browse to?

The reason is that I have PHP/MySQL Setup and I store all of my MySQL connection information and queries in a directory and I dont want people 'finding' this by simple browsing the website or using a web grabber to take a copy of the whole site.

Can anyone provide insight?

To prevent a directory from being served by the webserver, do this:

<Directory /path/to/directory>
   Order allow,deny
   Deny from all
</Directory>

Put this block in your <VirtualHost> block.

Doug Bell -- Senior Developer, Plain Black Corp.
[ http://plainblack.com ]
all that groks is