Upgrade

I am using Apache 2.0.55 on a Windows XP SP3 computer with PHP5 which was installed manually (at C:\php) several years ago (using instructions from David Powers book on Dreamweaver 8 and PHP/MySQL to tweak Windows and Apache to recognize the PHP installation). I would like to upgrade to the latest Apache version, 2.2.11. One choice is to download XAMPP and have everything (Apache, PHP and MySQL) installed using that program's installer. However, my current server root folder is in C:\htdocs whereas the XAMPP htdocs folder will reside (I believe) in C:\XAMPP\htdocs (or something similar). So...will I then have to reconfigure my root folder or can I change the default root to the one I am currently using? Do I uninstall the current php folder and the current apache version before installing XAMPP?

Alternatively, I just may upgrade the apache server only. Can I just do this by installing it on top of the current Apache installation? Or do I completely uninstall the older (2.0.55)Apache server (and/or the PHP folder) before proceeding with the upgrade.

Thanks.
Chick