RE: Apache as a Gateway

LVS and pound act in different ways, and on different levels of the TCP stack.

It all depends what you're trying to achieve as to which is most suitable for you.

In our environment we use a failed over  pair of hardware load balancers which balance traffic across a pair of squid caching servers which then load balance to a pair of pound servers. (see attachment)

We use pound to send certain urls and virtual hosts off to a series of backend java applications.

This is probably off topic now though …

Regards,

Paul

---