Re: 503 status seems to get cached - how do I disable caching?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM, André Warnier<aw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jenny Brown wrote:
> Just to get better answers, can you provide some additional information,
> such as
> - which Apache are you talking about (version) ?

Apache/2.2.3 built Nov 12, 2008

> - which Tomcat (version) ?

6.0.18

> - how are they connected (connector ?)

AJP with a ProxyPass definition set up in httpd.conf

> - on which platform (OS) ?

Linux (CentOS 5)

> Then anyway, as far as I know, /nothing/ is caching error messages.  In
> other words, if you get an error message, it means that some component
> really tries to get an answer from Tomcat, and is not getting any yet.
>
> What you should really try, is to use the browser to access that same URL
> directly on Tomcat, without going through Apache, and see how long you have
> to wait there to get an answer after you start Tomcat.

Hitting tomcat directly on port 8080 is very fast.  That difference in
speed is what led me to believe that apache seemed to be caching.

> Again in other words, when Tomcat tells you in its logfile that it is
> started, it means that Tomcat itself is started.  But it does not
> necessarily mean that all the /applications/ that run under Tomcat are ready
> to answer requests.  That may take quite a bit longer.
> Some applications may only get loaded and/or compiled when you call them for
> the first time.

The application I'm trying to hit is Tomcat's manager web app.  This
behavior (slowness from apache on picking up the fact that tomcat is
up) happens even when I have no wars deployed but the tomcat defaults,
so it's a very fast load - tomcat starts in a matter of 3-5 seconds.
And still it takes a long time before apache will acknowledge tomcat
and send the request on through.

I also believed that there's no caching defined anywhere.  But if
that's the case, I'm at a loss for what explains the behavior I'm
seeing.

Also, in case it's relevant - there are no proxies used by my web
browser or any of the steps along the way.

Thanks for your help.  This behavior has been puzzling me for months.

Jenny Brown