503 status seems to get cached - how do I disable caching?

I have apache httpd running as a front for a few instances of tomcat.
When I have tomcat down, the httpd server shows (appropriately) a 503
status, service unavailable, message.  Then I bring tomcat back up,
and can see by its logs that it starts in about 10 seconds.  However,
if I've seen the 503 status through a web browser, apache httpd seems
to continue to cache the 503 until well after tomcat was fully
started.  I haven't timed it but it seems likely roughly 30 seconds.
If I avoid hitting the web page until tomcat is up, I can get in
immediately, as the 503-error isn't cached.

I can't find any cache modules in my configs, and it's not something I
intentionally set up, so I assume it's an apache httpd default.  I
have confirmed that it's not my web browser caching it.

Can someone suggest what I should set to configure that cache time, or
turn off caching?  I'd like to not have to wait for the httpd cache to
expire before I can reach the tomcat manager page - especially on
systems with other users where I can't just avoid hitting the page
while it's down.  If any user hits it, the message gets cached.

Thank you!

Jenny Brown