2.2.10 -> 2.2.11

I use apache at home doing light weight "web development" stuff and to
serve little CGI utility apps I've written.  Recently I started working
with ruby on rails and wanted to install passenger.

The apache development headers are required for this, but I could not
locate an "httpd-devel" rpm for x86-64, so I downloaded the 2.2.11
source, built that and removed the old stock apache.

However, all my CGI files are now unable to write a log or db
*anywhere*.  I modified the http.conf to match my previous one ("Allow
all"), but this did not make any difference.  SELinux is disabled on my
system.

There is no informative output regarding this from apache at all, other
than the symptomatic "print() on closed filehandle $Log" in error_log.
Changing $Log to STDERR will put output in error_log, but this is not
desirable and does not help with the db access problem.

Presuming a "worst case scenario" where I am unable to find a solution
to this problem, I imagine I will somehow be able to build passenger
with the 2.2.11 source and just insert the module into the old 2.2.10.
I have not tried this yet, tho, and would appreciate any tips and
caveats about that.

However, a "best case scenario" (ie my preference) would be to get the
new source built apache 2.2.11 to work properly.  But I have exhausted
all references to permissions, etc, that I could find in the manual or
on the web -- AFAICT, "Allow all" should have been sufficient.

What could I have overlooked?

--MK