Re: Apache 1.3 on Vista Home issue

Darryle Steplight wrote:
> Hi Evgeny,
>      I just installed Apache 2.2 on Windows Vista last week. I'm just
> curious , how are you starting Apache? Are you using the "net" command
> from the command line or are do you have it running as a windows
> service?

There is no difference above, the net command simply controls windows
services.

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Evgeny Savitsky
> <evgeny.savitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to start apache on Windows Vista home premium and get the
>> following error:

We hope you are both aware that their are security issues with 1.3 on
windows which cannot be resolved (it wasn't designed to run on Windows,
but the behavior was hacked in after the fact).  Apache 2.0 is designed
for windows, Apache 2.2 considered changes to windows vista, so you are
strongly encouraged to upgrade, especially if looking for help.

Even 1.3.34 has a host of vulnerabilities solved in 1.3.41.  Where did
you find this thing, poor soul?

Now for all packages, the download site;
  http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/symbols/
contains a .zip file matching your package you can unzip into the
apache directory.  These .pdb files allow Dr. Watson to untangle where
the crash is, and you can share that information with the list to see
if there are any ideas.  Unfortunately, poor Vista users don't have
Dr. Watson anymore, so they must obtain a package called windbg and
actually load the crash dump.  Not our doing, sorry about that.

The .dmp file would allow us to unwind where the crash is, but we
certainly aren't going fishing in such an ancient package; move to 2.2
and go from there.