Strange Apache error (appears to be related to bad pidfile)

Good morning,

I've had a strange problem with Apache twice in the past week, and I'm out of ideas as to what might be going on.

Here's the background: I run a website that uses a plain-vanilla Apache server to serve images, and uses mod_proxy to forward requests for everything else to a backend mod_perl server on a different port on the same ip address.

The problem that I ran into is that after running on the same configuration for years, and without a reboot for a month or so, the plain-vanilla Apache server  stopped serving requests.
I was eventually able to restart the apache process the first time by deleting the pidfile.  When I ran apachectl start without a pidfile, the apache process started up and ran without problems for 3 days.  The second time this happened, it wasn't enough to delete the pid file.  I again reinstalled apache, and went so far as to reboot the server.  (fsck did not find any file system errors on reboot.)  This time, I was only able to restart the sever after running the following:

[root@data2]# touch /usr/local/apache-light/logs/
httpd.pid
[root@data2]# rm -f /usr/local/apache-light/logs/httpd.pid
[root@data2]# /usr/local/apache-light/bin/apachectl start

This finally worked, and the server has been serving requests for 3 days now.

Any ideas on what might be going on?  I'd love to have some ideas before this happens again -- it's been a stressful 45 minutes each time while I scrambled to try to figure out how to restart it.

Thanks!
-Chris