Re: How does Prefork work?

>>MaxClients at 250 means that potentially 250 httpd processes can be
>>running at once. Do you have the memory to support that many without
>>swapping? Swapping usually ends up killing a system, especially if
>>it's already handling a lot of disk i/o.

Regarding MaxClients at 250, the only thing that I need to worry about is
whether I have enough memory for 250 processes if there really are. Right?

>>MaxSpareServers at 20 means that at most 20 servers will sit there
>>idle. MinSpareServers means at least 5 will sit idle.
So, regardless of how many threads are active (until it reaches
MaxClients/ServerLimit), apache will always have between MinSpareServers and
MaxSpareServers ready to serve. Right?

>>Does your traffic tend to be steady throughout the day or
>>does it spike sharply once or more?

I do see some spikes when the system is doing full GC, which sometimes takes
longer than usual. Thats is like once every week or more. That causes the
app to slow down, and threads trying to do their jobs pile up over time. And
then it recovers in a few minutes. At other times, I don't see huge spikes.
I probably should consider reducing MaxSpareServers to 10.