Re: tomcat without apache in front

Well, of course, directly to tomcat. Every link in the chain makes the
chain longer and heavier, but you generally cannot lock the gate with a
one-link chain. Apache and Tomcat will do some caching, so it may not
matter.

Is Tomcat and Apache on the same physical machine? Are there other
things using Apache -> AJP -> Tomcat, or is this the only thing? What
is the general traffic flow and security policy for your environment?

My response is not so much about performance as it is opening Tomcat's
port directly to internet traffic. Is it OK to the actors of this
servlet to directly hit Tomcat's port... or will you have Tomcat listen
on port 80/443 directly?