Slow performance

I've been seeing some slow performance in Apache for a few weeks now.
Its most noticeable when sending email in SquirrelMail, probably
because it has to do so much.  (Take the POSTed data, login via IMAP
to authenticate the user, talk to the SMTP server to send the message,
talk to IMAP again to get the list of messages in the Inbox, and then
display the Inbox.)

One experiment was particularly telling.  I loaded SquirrelMail on a
different system and pointed it to the IMAP and SMTP servers on the
first system.  It worked MUCH faster.  It dropped from 40-60 seconds
to send an email message to only 2-5 seconds.  The in-production
system has a lot more hardware (3GB of RAM, faster disks, 2.8GHz Xeon
vs. a 1.1GHz Athlon with 512MB of RAM), so that can't be it.  I've
updated to Apache 1.3.41, PHP 5.2.9, and SquirrelMail 1.4.17 on the
in-production server, but it hasn't helped.  I even added an IMAP
proxy, but there was no appreciable difference.

When I set LogLevel to debug, there was nothing enlightening in the logs.

Watching a "tail -f /var/log/mailling" while sending an email in
SquirrelMail, I see that there is a noticeable delay (as much as
several dozen seconds) after the last IMAP logout and the time that
SquirrelMail displays the list of messages / Inbox.

Based on all of the above, I feel that there is some kind of delay
happening inside the httpd process, but I can't find it.  Does anyone
have any advise?

All help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jaime