Re: running Apache on a 10Mbps Comcast upload account but can download at 160kbps only

I have Comcast.  Comcast download speed is higher than the upload
speed wrt a workstation.  From your server's perspective the speed
nomenclature is reversed. The speed that a client connected to your
server sees is the 'upload' speed.  I have not measured my speeds in
quite a while.  IIRC, the quoted dnld speed is 3 Mpbs and upload is
1.5 Mbps. (as seen from a ws running a client)

For running a home server one would like the numbers to be  reversed,
but that is not possible unless you sign up for an upgraded service.

Comcast also has "Power boost'  which basically throttles up the
dnload speed for the first 10 MB of data, then throttles it down after
that.  It does a similar thing for the first 5 MB of uploaded data.
This basically means that you must know the size of the file being
transfered to get a realist number.

I don't know of any Apache speed settings...To my knowledge, Comcast
does not 'detect Apache'...they just manage bandwidth and don't care
about what client or server is running.

I have had ppl tell me that Comcast blocks http requests on port 80,
and 8080.  I've called two different service centers in PA, one east
and one west, and got the same answer: no port blocking or bw control
for 80 or 8080 port services.

A router dropping packets might account for some loss, but not the
amount you are seeing.  Hmmm would adjusting the MTU help?
-J