Re: the usual HELP!!!

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM, E. Mail <pullmyefinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
>
> this will prob be a trip down memory lane for ya...
>
> i downloaded and installed the Apache Webserver 2.2.11 for windows on an xp
> machine.
>
> i am trying to find a set of steps to follow to be able to host websites
> from my dining room computer.   there are tons of "statements/documents" for
> how to do something, but there is no logical process to follow!!!!!!!
>
>  this is what i did so far:
>
> installed apache 2.2 on Windows XP Professional PC; 512mb ram, 80 gb sata
> hard drive, Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, Belkin F5D7001 Wireless NIC.  The
> NIC works for all internet thru a linksys/cisco WRT54G2 Wireless router.  I
> have not port forwarded anything yet but I do understand basically how port
> forwarding works.  I had to do it for VNC remote access and got it to work.
> The router is connected to a Broadband/Cable Modem via Time Warner Cable.
>
> I have a registered domain of www.jrubinic.us from godaddy.com.  Went to
> zoneedit.com for some reason to get DNS Service (again, lotsa
> "dots"/documentation but nothing connected yet).  I had godaddy.com transfer
> the nameserver addresses to the ones for zoneedit.com and that worked.
>
> I have already screwed up the Listen Directive by trying to put in an IP
> address along with a port.  The server would not start and I remember
> reading somewhere that it would do that if I screwed the Listen Directive
> up.  It did.  I read some more, looked at the error log files and it told
> me it could not "bind??" to my WAN IP address.  Since I have written
> software before I know to only change one thing at a time then see what
> happens.  I commented out the changed config lines and put back the "Listen
> 80" directive and the Server restarted.
>
> After I installed the 2.2 Apache server it said to test the install by going
> to another pc, open a browser and type in http://localhost/ .  ; THE BAD
> THING IS I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT WORKED.   I

Ok, take a deep breath. First, if you're behind a router, your WAN
IP-address (also called your public IP) is not associated with your
computer, its associated with your router, so you won't be able to
bind to it. Second, unless you have multiple IP addresses associated
with your computer, and only want to accept web connections on some of
them, then all you need is the port number (80), not the address for
the Listen directive.

You provided a lot of info, which is good. But before anyone can
really help you, you need to describe what behavior you're seeing. The
first thing to test your server set up is to point your browser at
http://localhost from the *same* computer that's running the server,
not a different one. Not sure where you read to do that, but localhost
resolves to the /local/ computer, not another one on your network
(unless you really screwed around with your hosts.conf, or your DNS
system).

If you're able to view your server from the same computer, the next
test is to connect from another system on the same LAN. To do this,
open a command line and type ipconfig (on the server machine), this
will show you that computer's local IP address (only accessible from
behind the same router). Going to another computer behind the same
router, direct the browser to http:/<server's ip address>, making the
obvious substitution. If you're able to view the server that way, then
you know the server is properly serving remote connections.

The last step is to connect from a computer outside your LAN using the
router's public IP address, or the domain name that you've set up to
point to that IP address. If that works out, then you're golden. If
not, it probably means your router is not forwarding the traffic to
the correct machine, which is either a firewall or a port-forwarding
issue.

Note that, depending on your router and its settings, you may or may
not be able to connect from inside your LAN using the public ip
address or domain name. This is called loopback on the router, it
basically means whether or not it handles internal requests to the
public IP the same way it handles external requests. If loopback is
enabled, then it does handle them the same way, and you should be able
to do it. If it's not enabled, then your router probably won't do port
forwarding for internal requests, and you'll have to connect using
your server's internal IP address, or locally recognized name (once
again, set up in either your hosts file, or through DNS).

So give that all a try, and let us know how it goes.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net