Question n best practices to layout file system for a large number of fils

Hello everyone.

I am planning on using Apache to serve a large number of files that can easily grow over time (to hundreds of thousands). My use case is around client applications (controlled by me as well) that given a file name, they want to download that file. One easy, and probably not very wise in terms of performance, is to put all the files in one directory and expose that them through apache. As a side note, I am using certain hashing in the file names that avoids name clashing so that approach is safe. However, I imagine if I break that to multiple directories, I can get a better performance and that is what I like to learn from the experts whether that is a correct assumption, and if so, how deep I should consider creating the directory hierarchy and what factors play into my decision. I also understand that the file system used on the server (say Ext2 vs Ext3 vs Reiser, ...) can play a role here.

In my particular case, filenames are all hashes (like "0067df7874d05b5a22346a2c2a4a14e18cdbc721") with fixed width so "distributing" the files based on their names into multiple nested directories is an easy task (e.g. the file that I mentioned can go into "00/67/df" directory) and since the client is also mine,I can easily instruct the client to follow the same pattern when looking for a file.

If anyone has an insight into this type of problem and is willing to share his suggestions and ideas, I would greatly appreciate that.

Many thanks,
Ali.