Re: Apache memory hog

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Adrian Marsh <Adrian.Marsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks guys for the help so far...
>
> Lets just pretend for a moment that I don't know much about Apache, pthreads or pre-forks in any specific detail... how would I find out what threading model is being used?

The thread model is determined at compile time.  At your system
prompt, you can issue: apache2 -l  or, for a little clearer picture,
apache2 -V  and the server MPM will be clearly stated in lines
7-9.....for example:

Server version: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   Jun 25 2008 13:54:13
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:11
Server loaded:  APR 1.2.11, APR-Util 1.2.12
Compiled using: APR 1.2.11, APR-Util 1.2.12
Architecture:   32-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
  threaded:     no
    forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD