Re: AW: Apache memory hog

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 16:21 +0200, Alessandro Fantuzzi wrote:
> This thread confirms that apache by default doesnt free memory when
> stopped.
> http://marc.info/?l=apache-modules&m=108080705806751&w=2
>
> We have a memory leak problem too, still we havent solved.
>
> We havent svn onthe server but should be related to php and mysql
> connections.

That quote is not of consequence here - he is talking about releasing an
apr_pool back to apache, not stopping the server and restarting it,
which releases all the memory back to the OS.

Is this two issues, is apache leaking memory, causing you to restart the
server, which releases the memory back to the OS. The OS is under no
requirement to turn that into 'Free' memory, it is more than acceptable
to keep it as 'Inactive' memory, and then reallocate that to 'Free'. I
don't use RHEL, but that is certainly how FreeBSD manages memory.

Cheers

Tom