Re: Apache memory hog

Adrian Marsh wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to track down an issue I have with our apache server.  Its a
poweredge 1800, RHEL5x64 server, running httpd-2.2.3-22.el5.  Its mainly
used as a subversion repository, via HTTPS with LDAP lookup for
authentication.

All was well with the system, running 1Gb of ram, until I did a yum
update, and also upgraded subversion from 1.4 to 1.5.

Since then, apache consumes vast amounts of RAM, with very little user
interaction.  We've upped the memory to 12Gb of RAM, but even that gets
consumed within a few hours.

Obviously something is eating the ram.

So my questions are:

1) How do I find which module it is in apache thats consuming the ram?
(I'm 99% sure its subversion, but need evidence)

2) The apache docs talk about it having its own memory management, but
what config options are these, and how (roughly) should I be setting
them?

3) When the memory is consumed by httpd, and I stop the httpd process,
it quite often doesnt return the memory to the OS, leaving 11Gb in
"limbo" somewhere.  Is there a way to reclaim this ?

The last paragraph above triggers a doubt : are you sure it is the httpd process which is eating up memory ?
Can you confirm this with "top", for instance ?
(Install top if it's not there; start it; use shift-F to select the display options, then N <CR> to select memory)
This will show you which processes are really using memory.
It is possible that some Apache process starts another separate process, which would use up memory, and that this process does not get stopped when you stop Apache.