Re: IP v6 configuration for apache httpd

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:00:16PM +0200, Krist van Besien wrote:
> Normally you don't have to care about IP V6 in apache. If your OS is
> configured to handle IP V6 than apache will handle IP V6 out of the
> box. You don't need to add IP adresses to your config in normal use
> cases. So just use
>
> Listen 80
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> and let the OS worry about IP V6...

Of course, the moment you have more than one vhost, this goes out the
window, because you need to code separate specific addresses instead
of wildcards.  And if you have only one vhost, well, why?

Enclosing IPv6 addresses in square brackets should be correct.  I
think we need to know a lot more detail about what "seems not to work"
means.  In what way does it not work?  Is there anything interesting
in the log files?  Have you tried using a network monitor like tcpdump
or wireshark? what packets did you see?  Do you know that your IPv6
stack is working as you expect?  Is there a host-based firewall, and
is it configured to let the IPv6 traffic through?  (On Linux, for
example, IPv4 and IPv6 use separate sets of rule tables.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.