Re: mod_rewrite on reverse proxies...

We use relative url's to bypass this issue.

It also prevents other 'backend URL leakage' and generally allows for
proper load balancing without having to write software alter your
display output.

John-

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Krist van Besien
<krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Mike Lyon <mike.lyon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> Is anyone out there using mod_rewrite to rewrite URLs that pass through
>> their reverse proxies? I am using Apache as an SSL offloader for some web /
>> app servers that sit behind it. I have it up and working great. The only
>> problem is that the app will return to the client (via the reverse-proxy of
>> course) HTML that includes hrefs to itself that point to
>> "http://app1.example.com"; not "https://app1.example.com.";
>
> The preferred solution is to configure your webapp servers so that
> they use the proper hostnames (ie. that of your front end server) in
> the URLs they generate, or that they generate relative URLs. This
> should usually be possible.
> I'd first try this, as any other solution will be more complicated and
> has higher admin overhead.
>
> If that is not possible have a look at mod_proxy_html. This is the
> only module I know of that will rewrite HTML contents. mod_rewrite and
> mod_proxy will not do this.
>
> Krist
>
> --
> krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
> krist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
> --
> A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
> Q: What's wrong with top-posting?
> A: Top-posting.
> Q: What's the biggest scourge on plain text email discussions?

John Armstrong
Vice President, Engineering
The Berkeley Electronic Press
510/665-1200 x160
http://www.bepress.com/

bepress: 10 years of accelerating and enhancing the flow of scholarly ideas