mod_rewrite on reverse proxies...

Howdy All,

Is anyone out there using mod_rewrite to rewrite URLs that pass through their reverse proxies? I am using Apache as an SSL offloader for some web / app servers that sit behind it. I have it up and working great. The only problem is that the app will return to the client (via the reverse-proxy of course) HTML that includes hrefs to itself that point to "http://app1.example.com" not "https://app1.example.com."

So when the client gets this HTML and wants to get content from the href it was just given from the app server, it wants to connect back to the proxy via http, not https. This defies the whole reason why we are doing SSL.

So what I would like to know is if there is a way I can rewrite those hrefs when they go from the server to the client with mod_rewrite so the client is pointed to an SSL href and not just a regular http href. Is something that mod_rewrite is capable of doing?

Thank You,
Mike