Re: Big log file- any impact on performance ?

Chinmay Tripathi wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
performance. On my Linux web server, one log file size is 20GB. I know I can
rotate this log. But my question to you is whether the size of the log file
has any impact on apache performance whatsoever.

+1, by curiosity.
I don't know the answer, and I also find this an interesting question.
Does Apache keep this file open, at the point of insertion, while it is running ? Does opening this 20GB file initially, when Apache starts, impose a penalty ?

Keeping a 20GB logfile in one piece is not something I would do, for practical reasons, but the question above is still interesting to me.

Chinmay, you may also want to indicate if you are talking about an Apache error log, or an access log.

Separately : I would rotate this file anyway, even if it has no direct impact on Apache. A 20 GB file in one piece is difficult to handle anyway : it is difficult to copy or backup, takes a very long time to read for any statistical analysis, takes up a lot of space etc.. There are several rotation mechanisms (logrotate, rotatelogs,..) which, combined with a compression scheme, would save a lot of space and make this a lot easier to handle.