Re: Big log file- any impact on performance ?

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Chinmay Tripathi
<chinmay.tripathi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
> performance. On my Linux web server, one log file size is 20GB. I know I can
> rotate this log. But my question to you is whether the size of the log file
> has any impact on apache performance whatsoever.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

The size of the log file does not matter, per se, because apache will
append the latest event information to the end of the file.

20GB is a huge log file, IMHO.  Make sure your /var directory has
enough room to hold such a file, and if it does not, that /var does
not leech space from other mountpoints -- this can cause other
problems on the system, such as random applications crashing for what
appears to be no reason.

Logfile size does impact the system as a whole, sometimes not in the
area(s) you are expecting them to impact.

--
Glen Barber