Re: Apache port help

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Tim Ford <tford@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IIS is hosting a completely different web page and doesn't communicate with the web page being hosted with apache. So I can't do redirect with iis.

Not familiar with IIS, but if it's remotely HTTP compliant and
remotely modern in its capabilities, then this is not an issue.

The problem is, when people connect to your IP address through their
browser without specifying a port number, it assumes port 80, which is
where IIS is connected to. IIS is therefore the only entity that can
redirect the request to another port. Since you mentioned the two
sites have different names ("intranet" and "chdb"), you should be able
to set up IIS to recognize the difference by checking the HTTP/1.1
"Host" header. If you're able to do so, then you should be able to
issue an HTTP redirect to http://intranet:8080 when the Host header is
set to "intranet". This will tell the browser to make a new request to
the specified address. The URL with port number will still show up in
the address bar, but they don't have to remember to enter it
themselves.

The other alternative, as mentioned, is to set up IIS to proxy to your
apache server. The idea is the same, check the Host header and respond
differently when the request is made to "intranet" then when it's made
to "chdb". Proxying is more complicated, but it's probably the only
option if you don't want the port number to show up in address line
(other than ditching either IIS or Apache and serving both sites from
one server).

Both of these solutions are definitely outside the scope of this
mailing list though. Like someone said, you'll want to check IIS
documentation of forums. The term you're most likely looking for is
"name-based virtual hosting".

Hope that helps,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848