Re: Re: problem with url encoding for apache server as load balancing server

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer. I am using mod_jk and redirecting everything to
be handled by the tomcat remote servers (apache 2.2 is purely doing
load balancing for the two tomcat nodes of the cluster).

If I call directly my tomcat cluster nodes I have to call with values
url encoded in utf-8 which is ok.

If I encode the parameter values in a url (for example myvalue in
http://myapacheserver/mywebapp?myparam=myvalue_url_encoded)  in
iso8859-1 then the request arrives at my tomcat cluster nodes properly
(utf8 url encoded).

If I make the requests to the apache load balancing server in utf-8
(that's what I want) then the request is not properly forwarded by
apache to the tomcat nodes (the values arrive with bad charset
encoding...).

I want any remote client (user or app) to access the apache load
balancing server or the tomcat cluster nodes directly in a
transaparent way. With the same url encoding: utf-8.

I read that Apache by default expects iso8859-1, and I already tried
to configure in the usual way with adddefaultcharset, indexoptions and
so. I thought this was a normal issue with apache with a more or less
straightforward answer... guess I am wrong. I don't think the fact
apache is doing load balancing through moid_jk to a tomcat cluster
should be very important (thought i can be wrong). I would think this
is just a httpd.conf problem.

I hope this extra information helps you or anyone to give me a clue on
how to solve this.

Best,
rui.

2009/2/16 Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:05 AM, rui fernandes <rjmfernandes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just in case people didn't paid attention to the first message, I was
>> hoping someone knew the answer to this simple apache (2.2)
>> configuration problem (uri encoding in utf-8 and not in iso..).
>
> It's not simple.  IMO It didn't include enough rigorous information
> for anyone to comment on.
>
> Were you using mod_jk before you added balancer or mod_proxy_ajp?
> What's your current and previous configuration?
>
> What does it mean for apache to "expect" ISO8859-1?
>
> Figure out byte-for-byte what the browser requests and what is
> requested by your connector module, and include the information.
>
> --
> Eric Covener
> covener@xxxxxxxxx

Un saludo,