Re: Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

From: "Mohammed obaidan" <blue4603@xxxxxxxxx>
I think when a Windows user want a simple web server
will go for IIS because it has a GUI. This will affect Apache usage
share, though not that much but at least will have an impact.

I use Apache under Windows, because I create the programs under Windows then I put them to run under Linux, and I want to use the same web server.

A GUI for configuring Apache would be nice if it would let me to do absolutely everything I can do with a text editor. I would like such a tool for the cases when I forget the name of some variables or options in cases like those conditions that can be wrote in httpd.conf for preventing the access to a certain type of files, from a specific IP address, when the HTTP headers contain or not contain a certain text, and so on.

Regarding the GUI for the modules, I think that every module creator
can for example implement a simple plugin for my tool, as you said,
since it will needs lots of time and effort.

I really doubt that they would do that.
And if they won't do that, the users would see that your tool is not able to understand some parts of the configuration file, so it can't help them.

Regarding installing a basic Apache on Windows, it is not an easy
task. It is easy iff you install it from a package like XAMPP.

I have never installed Apache under Windows that way. I have always installed from the .msi installer and it always was very easy.

I think such a tool will contribute a lot to Apache since it will ease
it configuration. I know that most of you are thinking that this tool
for Windows users that are so lazy to do it by hand. However I think
it will help them and people who are switching to Linux like myself.

I think that Apache administrators already know what they need to do in httpd.conf, and if they know, it is more simple for them to make the configuration in a text editor than using a GUI. They could find that GUI useful if it could help them remember the advanced settings which they don't remember how to do with an editor. But if they can't do absolutely everything with that tool... it wouldn't be very useful for them, and for beginners would be very bad because it could make them think that it is not possible to do what that tool can't do.

Octavian