Re: mod_jk

Hi Mohit.

Mohit Anchlia wrote:
Couple of questions regarding mod_jk:

1. Does apache read worker.properties dynamically? So if I change
worker.property would it be dynamically read by mod_jk.
No, I don't think so. You need to restart Apache if you make a change.

A more generic answer :
In general, all these "dynamic" things have a cost. One way or another, it forces the server to spend some time once in a while to check if the file has changed. So if you change it once per month, but the system has to check every minute, that would be quite inefficient. For example, with Tomcat, you can specify that some webapps should be watched that way. But in the Tomcat documentation, they tell you that this is fine for a development server, but for a production server you should turn this off.

2. Does mod_jk check if the system is up and running before forwarding
that request to the server configured in worker.properties file?
mod_jk is a smart little module, and it can do a lot of things in addition to just forwarding requests to Tomcat. So yes, that is one thing it can do. It can "ping" the Tomcat server before sending a request, to see if the server can service it. Now the question is, what should it do if the Tomcat server does not respond "pong" ? If there is only one Tomcat anyway ...

If there are several Tomcat servers, mod_jk can distribute the load among the Tomcats (even in function of how fast each Tomcat is), and automatically detect when one Tomcat is not responding anymore, and take him out of the list. That's called "load balancing", "failover" etc.. But you have to tell mod_jk to do that, by parameters in the workers.properties file.
There is a full list of options here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html
The above is what all these parameters like "socket_timeout", "ping_mode" etc.. are all about.

If you have more precise questions, I suggest to subscribe to the Tommcat users list. There are a couple of people there which are developers of mod_jk. I don't know if they also follow this list.