ProxyHTMLURLMap

I have been working on a reverse proxy problem for a while. I have it mostly working but I need to rewrite some URLs to delete one level of directory

I think ProxyHTMLURLMap will be able to do it and I have determined that it is doing something on my machine, just not what I want.

The proxy is creating URLs in the form "http://hostname/application/file";
I need them in the form "http:/hostname/file", where hostname is the VirtualHost of the reverse proxy.

Deleting the "/application", when it appears is really all that is necessary.

I think I understand in its simplest form ProxyHTMLURLMAp matches from the beginning left to right,
I need it to match for "/application" anywhere in the URL

Anyone know the correct form to do this, or a source for more and clearer examples than I have found so far?
--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal