Can't figure out where data is being cached

I'm having an odd problem which I've had no luck tracking down. I don't even know for sure that it's an Apache issue, but I'm hoping somebody here has seen it before, or has some new ideas.

I'm running in a somewhat complicated development environment. I've got Ubuntu 8.04 running under VirtualBox on an XP SP3 machine. The Ubuntu installation includes Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.4. The website under development operates out of a VirtualBox shared folder. So I'm editing the files on my XP machine, but they are being served from the Apache installation. Make sense?

Here's the problem. I can change any HTML or PHP files, and the change is immediately seen in the browser (either on the XP machine, or the Linux VM). But CSS files are being cached somewhere. The only way I can see a change is to change the file name every time I make a change. A big pain, obviously. The cached CSS pages persist for weeks at least. I haven't found an expiry time.

What I can't determine is where these pages are actually cached. It happens across different browsers, and clearing the browser cache doesn't help. I'm mainly using Firefox, and have the caching disabled using Web Developer. I don't have any caching mods enabled in Apache2, and can't find any cache folders on the Ubuntu machine. I don't have any proxies running. Even though the server and browser are running on the same machine, it looks like data might be going out on my LAN (disconnecting the network cable breaks the internal connection between XP and the VM). But my router doesn't seem to have any caching support, so I don't think that's the problem.

If anybody has any ideas who is caching my CSS files, I'd welcome some input here.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com