Live vs. production server?

I hope this is on-topic for this list, if not, kindly point me in the right direction if possible.

Does Apache have a mechanism to switch between "live" and "work in progress" sites?

Our designers have just finished a website that is database/php driven and hosted under Linux.

It has a back-end system for users to add and editin content, adding images, etc.  This has brought to the forefront the issue of how to handle website revisions.

In the past, the site was "static".  All work was done locally and we'd just upload the entire site when it was ready.

The new site will be interesting because it will have diverging elements.  The "live" site will change as time goes by because users modifying the content.  The offline site will change as well as we add features, code, change graphics and design elements.

How does one handle something like this?  Are there tools to automate any/all of it?

Thanks,

-Martin