Re: httpd.exe -k restart command is closing connections on Windows

Hi.
Referring to your original post, and to the current one below :

I don't really have the "Apache developer" answer to your questions, but I believe that you should be a little more precise in your descriptions. What do you mean (in your first post) by "connections" and (in your last post) by "operations in progress" ?

I am asking because HTTP is, by design, a connection-less protocol. (Yes I know about KeepAlive, but nevertheless).

In other words, I would expect Apache, when it restarts (even gracefully), to drop existing TCP sessions (since basically the only ones that would exist would be due to KeepAlive TCP sessions), as long as there is no request still being processed on that connection. Apache would need to do that, because any open TCP connection would be held on the server side by a running child (or thread), and to restart that child/thread, that connection would need to be closed.

But that should not matter. If a client still has a KeepAlive connection active, but it is not waiting for any response, it will just re-establish a new TCP connection when needed (to send another request), and nothing should be lost.

On the other hand, if by "operations in progress" you mean that there are requests being processsed and still not answered when you do the restart, and Apache then drops the being-processed requests in the middle, then indeed it is not very graceful.

dbezerra wrote:
There is no httpd -k graceful on Windows.

From the Apache with Windows documentation:

"You can also tell Apache to restart. This forces it to reread the
configuration file. Any operations in progress are allowed to complete
without interruption. To restart Apache, use: httpd.exe -k restart"

The problem is that the above command is interrupting operations in
progress.

Gary W. Smith wrote:
try httpd -k graceful restart, by design, should stop and start the server, without regard to
connections.
graceful reloads the config and then reloads each thread as it becomes
inactive.
At least that's how it was put to me at a high level. Gary